Monday, February 6, 2023

Upcoming Trip to Argentina & Antarctica

My upcoming trip to Argentina and Antarctica starts in less than three weeks, and I'm resurrecting this old blog from some of my previous cycling trips to use as a travel diary, and so that my family and friends can follow along on the trip.  On this upcoming trip, I'm travelling with friends from Baton Rouge, Jim and Neil Ann, so you'll hear and see a lot about them.  

We leave on Friday, February 24, just after Mardi Gras, for an overnight flight to Buenos Aires, via Miami.  After a couple of days, we will fly north to Iguazu Falls, spending four days at a resort in the national park there, before heading back to Buenos Aires for one night, then a flight to Ushuaia, where we embark on Ponant's L'Austral.


L'Austral carries up to 264 passengers in 132 cabins, plus 140 crew members.  It's possible to see the current location of the ship anytime by clicking on this link.  Aside from visiting the Antarctic Peninsula, we'll call at South Georgia Island, from which the famous Shackleton trip set off, and where Shackleton himself managed to return and arrange for the rescue of the his expedition members from Elephant Island.  I first learned about Shackleton about 25 years ago from an audiobook of Alfred Lansing's "Endurance," one of the most gripping stories that I've ever heard.  Highly recommended!

Ponant's L'Austral

As you might expect, YouTube provides a rabbit-hole of videos explaining how these Antarctic cruises work, including a bunch showing the details of how Ponant itself organizes the expedition (usually on one of the identical sister ships).  I thought that this one provided a good overview of the trip.

On past trips (especially the three Tour de France trips), this blog served as a great trip diary & repository of photos and videos.  I'll try to be diligent about keeping it up on the Antarctica trip, but a lot depends on whether or not there's enough internet service on the ship to upload photos and videos.  I'm told that it's unreliable, but I'll do my best!






No comments:

Post a Comment